Monday, January 18, 2010

So Long Old Pal....

An old friend of mine recently passed away but you won't read his obituary in the Daily Gleaner. Albert was was only 52 years old but to be honest, he never was very healthy. He was raised during the big 50's boom and was always the runt of the litter. He just didn't have the hearty construction of some of his older brothers who are still going strong today.
He was reliable though - and a friend to all no matter what grade you were in or what group you hung out with. He had a knack of making everyone feel like they belonged - something I think is missing these days among his peers.

I saw Albert almost every day of the school year and sometimes we even got together on the weekend - especially if there was a dance. Albert loved to dance. I didn't see him as much in the summer, but when September rolled around - there he was, surrounded by all his old friends and a whole crop of new ones. I learned a lot from Albert. He taught me how to get along with most people, how to keep out of trouble and he taught me all about girls. But most of all - he introduced me to some lifelong friends.

Sadly I had to leave Albert behind and move on but he was happy where he was - he could always make new friends. I saw him from time to time over the years and he even became somewhat of a friend to my 2 sons. I guess I was lucky I knew Albert in his prime because he seemed to go downhill recently and the future did not look good. The last time I saw him I didn't even recognize him. I knew he was terminal but it was still a shock to see him lying there reduced to a pile of rubble.

Yes - Albert Street School may be gone but the spirit of Albert will live on in our memories and stories.

So long old pal....

2 comments:

Judy said...

Very well written ... I kept wondering why I didn't remember the name!!
You should be writing professionally!!!
Thanks for another very entertaining read. Judy

John said...

R.I.P. Albert... You shall be missed!