Sunday, January 3, 2010

Me and Willie O'ree...

Feelin' good was good enough for me,
Good enough for me and Willie O'ree....

That's not actually how the song goes but I am trying to start each blog with a song lyric and that just seemed to fit. Last Sunday I went skating at Willie O'ree Place and I am still feelin' good but let me tell you I am out of shape! My chest was wheezing and I had a pain in my lower back, my ankles were wobbly and my legs were cramped. I struggled to catch my breath as my vision blurred and there was a ringing in my ears.... but eventually I was able to get my skates laced up, catch my breath and hit the ice - then things started to improve.

The rink was really crowded but I prefer it that way - it is fun weaving in and out of the constantly moving crowd. There was the usual mixture of skaters - nervous beginners, cool teenagers, parents with young children pushing little chairs around the ice. And those little rink rats and hot-doggers with low centers of gravity who buzz around your ankles with their over-sized hockey skates and helmets on. There were babies skating with soothers in their mouths and even a few "old guys" who can still carve the ice and make it look easy. I was reminded of Mr. Chedore - an older gentleman who lived in our neighborhood when I was growing up. Mr. Chedore wore those old-fashioned skates with the long, straight blades and he skated with his hands behind his back, taking those slow, graceful strides that you don't see anymore. Mr. Chedore skated like butter.

But back to me and Willie O'ree. I actually met Willie O'ree when I was 9 years old. It was in the off season and he was on some sort of motivational speaking tour at the time and came to talk to the Millville Scout troop. I was not a member but I got to go along with my older cousins and I suspect Dad and a few uncles managed to attend that special night too. I was unaware of his historical significance at the time but it was a thrill just to meet a real NHL player and he obviously made quite an impression on me because I have never forgotten it.

So I am just saying "Thanks Willie" for taking the time to talk to a bunch of impressionable young boys and thanks for being the inspiration for our city to build such a fine arena.


2 comments:

Tracy Walls said...

One of my favorite memories of living back in Fairvale is that Dad would take us and any friends to the Kennebecasis river to skate. It froze solid and one could usually see others skating on any given day too. Later in the winter the fishing shacks went up right by the Renforth Yacht club. I always wanted to try ice fishing.

Here in Fredericton we have this gorgeous river dividing us completely in half. Not a soul skates and no one has ever fished on the river to my knowledge. I once heard a rumor that people use to actually drive across the river before the other bridge was built.

We don't even have a restaurant with a panoramic view of our river. I don't consider an ice cream cone at the lighthouse a restaurant. Someone tell me what is wrong here? Why is our river going to waste the other half of the year?

Mac said...

Good point Tracy. I would love to skate on the river but I don't think it is safe since they built the dam. I do remember driving across the ice road with my father when I was a kid. And people used to skate all the way to Gagetown in the olden days - just for fun!