Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Nothing But Nice

This is a nice little story about what didn't happen to me a few days before Christmas way back in 1989. What didn't happen was that I didn't go to jail. I got to spend a nice Christmas with my little family instead of having to prove I wasn't naughty. I have always been thankful and amazed that things did not take a turn for the worse - must have been the Spirit of Christmas looking out for me. As usual, an explanation is required. Here goes...

John was about eight years old at the time and I had gone all out that year, decorating the house inside and out, upstairs and down. I was even so inspired that I trimmed our car - complete with tinsel, silver balls and even working lights strung all around the roof inside. It looked really special if I do say so myself. We would drive around with the lights on enjoying the neighbourhood displays while listening to Christmas music on the tape deck. Nice memories - but like I said, it was what didn't happen that makes that year so memorable.

John had a little friend who lived on our street and her name was Emily. It was a few days before Christmas and John and Emily were playing in the yard while I was puttering around in the garage. It was late afternoon and not yet dark when I asked John if we should show Emily our beautiful Christmas car which was parked in the garage. Sounds harmless enough so far - doesn't it? Well read on...

I guess I didn't notice that John had disappeared downstairs to play Nintendo as I turned on the Christmas lights in the car while only half listening to Emily chattering away in the background. It was still light outside and even in the garage the little lights did not have the desired effect so I thought it best to close the garage door, enclosing what turned out to be only me and Emily in the darkness. It was truly a magical moment as the lights twinkled away in the darkness, but the moment didn't last too long as it finally dawned on me that John was no longer with us. However I didn't have much time to consider the situation as in the distance I heard someone calling "Emily.... Emily". That was when it hit me.

I turned off the lights, pressed the garage door opener and as the door slowly opened there was Emily's father at the end of our driveway as Emily and I climbed out of the car and shuffled out into the twilight. I don't remember what I said at that exact moment - probably stammered an explanation about a special surprise for the kids or something of that sort. Her father was surprisingly calm as he collected his daughter and guided her homeward down the darkening street.

Of course I am using a little creative license here but the story is true. There was never really any problem and it was only in looking back that I even realized what a strange sight we must have been emerging from that darkened garage. I explained the situation and we had a laugh and said our seasonal pleasantries and I am happy to say that what might have appeared naughty was really nothing but nice. Oh, and by the way, did I mention that Emily's father was a prominent lawyer and her mother a judge?

I'll say it again - the Spirit of Christmas was really looking out for me that year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bet Emily has fond memories of those magical lights too....kind of sad though that one even has to think in terms of how it "looks" to the rest of the world, such an innocent event...good story
Merry Christmas !
Jacqui