Friday, July 9, 2010

$5.00 Ice Cream Cone

I am thrifty. Anyone who grew up with me, has ever gone shopping with me or married me will attest to this fact. I have gotten used to wearing this old worn out shoe and it fits quite nicely thank you. But all this thrift merely means that I know good value when I see it and I know when something is worth paying for. Like our new George Foreman Grill for example (stay tuned for that blog)... worth every penny and then some.

But this blog is about an ice cream cone, a $5.00 ice cream cone. And it's about enjoying yourself. Enjoying something special, something you don't have every day or even every month. Maybe only a couple of times a year. That rarity is what makes it so special - like Christmas.

I was at the Regent Mall one day a couple of years ago - I worked nearby and was just killing my lunch hour. I didn't want to eat at any of the fast food places for all the obvious reasons. And I also didn't want to pay their ridiculous prices. What to do? I happened past the Laura Secord store and the ice cream they were selling suddenly appealed to me. Also there was a nice mature lady behind the counter giving out free samples.

She made her sales pitch and before I knew it I was ordering a single scoop butter pecan ice cream cone. The base price was about $3.00 and I wasn't too happy about that, after all - I come from an age when an ice cream cone cost 10 cents. But what can I say - I was in the mood. Then she pointed out that an extra scoop was only another dollar - and didn't I deserve an extra scoop? Sure I did! She soon had me convinced that I was worth at least two scoops.

Next she inquired sweetly if I was going to treat myself to a freshly made waffle cone to hold that extra scoop? After going for the second scoop why scrimp on the cone? Why indeed? And at only an extra fifty cents it was a bargain not to be missed! And to seal the deal - she stuck a little chocolate ornament on top - for FREE! With tax the total came to $5.18. I only hesitated for a minute but it was too late to back out now. I paid the lady with my debit card (who carries around that much cash?) and off I went, cone in hand. And you may not believe this, but that cone was the best bargain I had in a long time. Not only was it delicious but it was custom made to my specifications and I was worth it! I walked around that mall feeling like a king and if that isn't worth $5.18 I don't know what is.

I guess I don't treat myself enough - and maybe you don't either. Maybe some of us treat ourselves too much. But how many Christmases would you want in a year? And how many $5.00 ice cream cones?

It has been a couple of years now - I think I'll head up to Laura Secord again one of these days and see what the flavour of the day is. And maybe this time I will go all out and order the chocolate dipped cone AND sprinkles - maybe. Because the question I must ask myself is this: "Am I really ready for a $6.00 ice cream cone?"

3 comments:

Tracy Walls said...

That just made me hungry for Green Village ice cream. I remember the smell of the made-on-site waffle cones. I don't think I ever paid 5 bucks though. As long as you only do this twice a year, I say fill your boots.

Judy said...

This one is definitely "cool" ...and so are you:)

Anonymous said...

I hear ya...
last week Woody went to Madd's to get gas and I said to him to bring home an ice cream treat.....well.....
he bought 2 Hagen-daz (tiny)ice cream things on a SMALL stick...
I might have been able to enjoy it had I not looked at the sales slip first !!!! $ 4.29 EACH
crap ! I could have bought 4 liters for $8.58 plus tax ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!