Friday, May 21, 2010

Part 2 in a Series

JOHNNY CASH AT SAN QUENTIN

I am not a country music fan but I am a big fan of Johnny Cash, both the artist and the man. I think everyone is a Johnny Cash fan and those who say they aren't are not being 100% truthful.

I bought this album when I was 17 years old and at the height of my interest in rock and roll. In the golden age of the Beatles, Woodstock and the Rolling Stones - Johnny stood out in the crowd and sang songs for the common working man.

How do I know this? Because my father was a common working man and this is the only album that we ever agreed upon. I was in my bedroom playing records late one Saturday night and Dad was in the kitchen talking to Mom. He hollered through the door "What are you playing in there?" and I replied Johnny Cash and reached over to turn it down, when Dad said "Open the door and turn it up." I moved the needle back to the first cut on the record which was Carl Perkin's Blue Suede Shoes and we all listened to the whole record from start to finish.

The album was recorded live with lots of background noise, catcalls and whistles when June Carter sang along. Johnny covered several of his current hits of the time such as Folsom Prison Blues and Jackson. The record also featured the Statler Brother's big hit Flowers on the Wall and the Carter family singing one of the seminal tunes in country music - Wildwood Flower. Top it off with a cover of the Lovin' Spoonful's Darlin' Companion and you can see why this record is on my list.

No need to run out and buy this one unless you want to - this album is on my list for reasons more personal than musical. In fact I don't even own a copy myself but I am proud to say that my son Cameron recently brought home a copy of Johnny Cash's Greatest Hits. We might not agree on all types of music but it looks like Johnny Cash has bridged the generation gap again. Can't ask for a better recommendation than that.

I rate this album 7 out of 10

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

not a living soul that would not know the name Johnny Cash...
JP

Judy said...

I agree with the other JP - and I agree with the premise of your blog too ... Johnny Cash the generation gap closer!! I have always loved Johny Cash - my first recollection of hearing him was at Aunt Ruby's farm (when Uncle Eddie was still alive - he must have been a fan) ...then I saw Johnny and June in person in Fredericton *won tickets on a radio contest!! One of my greatest memories. Love your blog!!!

Anonymous said...

I too am a Johnny Cash fan. I also got a similar reaction from my father..only the album in question was Merle Haggard's Working Mans Blues...Dad walked in my bedroom, stood and stared and all he could say was...I don't believe it....I hear it but I don't believe it.