Sunday, May 16, 2010

Part 1 in a Series


GRACELAND

"It was a slow day and the sun was beating on the soldiers by the side of the road. There was a bright light, a shattering of shop windows, the bomb in the baby carriage was wired to the radio."

These are the opening lyrics to Graceland by Paul Simon - one of the finest albums ever recorded in my honest and humble opinion, and it just happens to be the first CD I ever purchased. I bought it in 1986 and I still have the original which has been played consistently over those 25 years - testimony to its longevity in more ways than one.

If you don't know the story then I will tell you. Paul Simon recorded this album in South Africa, when it was not considered politically correct to do so due to the prevailing attitudes towards apartheid at the time. He featured many South African artists who were given full credit for their contribution but that is only a part of the album's appeal. He also dealt with the larger issues that affect us all, such as freedom, personal relationships, global terrorism and American/world culture in general. A pretty broad landscape - but he managed to make it all listenable, danceable and thoroughly enjoyable.

If you don't own this album I highly recommend you go out and buy it, download it or have someone burn you a copy. Put it on the stereo, play it in the car or on your Ipod - listen to the lyrics and enjoy the music - dance if you want to.

I have been listening to this CD for 25 years and God willing I will be listening to it for another 25 years. The well crafted lyrics and good music are both timeless and timely - but don't take my word for it. Take a little trip to Graceland - you will be glad you did. I look forward to hearing some feedback on this blog as I plan to post similar topics in the future.

I rate this album 9 out of 10.

2 comments:

Johnston Haynes said...

This is a personal "Desert Island disc" for me.

Huge thanks are due for you introducing this (and other amazing music) to me, as a young man.

I've played the title track to great response a time or two. Great moments... :)

Julie said...

Do Imperial Bedroom next!!