Sunday, May 29, 2011

Up a Tree

Have you ever wondered what your life would look like as a TV program? No? Well I have. Consider it for a minute. What would it be? A game show or a reality show? Maybe a talk show with a never ending parade of guests dropping by. After giving it a little too much thought I have decided that my life on TV would be a classic sixties half hour sitcom, complete with commercials, theme song and of course a catchy title.

The cast of "Up a Tree" would be basically me and Julie, coping with our daily domestic situations, sharing good times and bad - now and then dealing with our dysfunctional family members and entertaining our wacky friends. I even have my theme song all picked out - a slightly uptempo instrumental version of "Misty" - the Johnny Mathis classic.

Picture it. As the theme song plays I enter the kitchen, announce that I am home, park my keys and wallet on top of the fridge and open the door in search of a pre-dinner snack as Julie patiently rolls her eyes, folds her arms and mugs for the camera. As the opening credits roll, I toss my hat at the hook on the wall and miss it every time - tedious and predictable but always good for a laugh.

Like most classic sitcoms and indeed real life, nothing much ever happens on my show. Maybe I misplace my car keys or forget to put water in the coffee maker again... how about an episode about building a deck or getting the lawn mower out of winter storage? Doesn't sound like much but you would be surprised what some clever sound effects and a well placed laugh track can do. And there are no parental advisories due to foul language, violence or nudity  - unless it is my turn to do the laundry.

No need to worry about missing an episode of  "Up a Tree" because it airs pretty much 24/7 - and there are always plenty of reruns. So tune in any time, sit back and put your feet up. And as that other TV show used to say - "Ya'll come back now - hear?"

2 comments:

Judy said...

Before I make a comment I have to ask "You have a turn to do the laundry??"

As for my comment, I just want to say I'll be tuning in ...can't wait to see what madcap shenanigans the two of you will get up to!

Anonymous said...

Judy said it all....I was very concerned over the laundry too ! Maybe you could teach Woody how to do that !
I would really like to see the "hat toss" too !lol